Customer Payment Support
Financial challenges can arise from a sudden change in income, illness or other personal matters. Whatever your situation, we can help.
Tas Gas Retail’s customer payment support program is for Victorian customers and provides support that goes beyond traditional payment plans. This support is confidential, free, and is designed to help you get back on track with your energy bills, repay your overdue bills and lower your ongoing usage costs.
If you wish to read our policy document, it can be found here.
We understand that financial challenges or difficulties can strike anyone. For example, you may have experienced:
- a loss of or change in income
- a serious illness, disability or death in the family
- a separation, divorce or family crisis
- domestic violence
- other personal matters contributing to these difficulties
In these and similar situations, our payment support program may be able to help. Please contact us on 1800 750 750 to discuss with one of our friendly and understanding consultants.
The Energy Retail Code, which sets out retailers obligations and minimum customer entitlements, takes precedence over this customer payment support policy in all circumstances.
In accordance with the Energy Retail Code Tas Gas Retail offers a range of standard and tailored payment options to assist you with your budgeting and help avoid those large seasonal bills (bill shock). Your rights and entitlements under the Energy Retail Code include:
- Bill Payment Extension
- Short Term Payment Plan (For Single Bills) (e.g. making payments at different intervals)
- Bill Smoothing (For Multiple Bills) (e.g. making payments of equal amounts and/or paying for energy use in advance and/or payment of arrears at regular weekly, fortnightly or monthly intervals over a 2 year period);
- Set & Forget Direct Debit; And
- Centrepay Deductions; and
- Information about assistance available and how to access it
How can we help?
- Payment plans tailored to your needs – Covering current debt and your energy usage over the next two years
- Estimates of your future energy costs and how to keep them down
- Advice on government grants to help meet your energy costs – e.g. Utility Relief Grants and concession rebates
- Practical help to lower your energy use which includes;
- energy plans to suit your circumstances and based on your usage history (if we have it)
- energy efficiency tips to help you use less energy
- ways to monitor your energy usage
- Ongoing reviews to see how you are going
- Financial counselling – We can refer you to a free financial counsellor in your area.
Do you qualify?
Tas Gas Retail’s customer payment support program is available to Victorian residential customers who are experiencing temporary or long-term financial difficulty that makes it hard to pay their gas bill.
We offer personal support
We know that every circumstance is different. So we'll consider your current financial situation and what you can afford to pay before we make any recommendations – that way, your support is tailored to you.
As part of our program you can access a flexible payment arrangement or get advice on your future energy costs and how you can lower them. And if you can't pay your ongoing energy usage costs, you may be entitled to additional support such: as a six-month freeze on your outstanding debt; or pay less than your on-going energy use while working to lower your cost; tips to assist you to safely reduce your energy costs; and assistance with referrals to support organisations that may be able to assist with financial counselling, including, in some cases, emergency payments.
Our consultants can provide information about government concessions and rebates, Centrelink's Centrepay facility or our convenient payment options. Whatever support you need, one of our trained consultants can help.
Tas Gas Retail will attempt to identify those customers that are experiencing payment difficulties that may benefit from being in our program. We will do this by looking at any signals of financial difficulties that our customers may have by, amongst other things, regularly monitoring our payments reports. This may show an excessive use of energy or consistently overdue accounts.
We will act on such information as soon as practicable by discretely and sensitively contacting these customers to establish whether they may be suffering financial difficulty.
Of course, everyone’s circumstances are different. In some cases it may be necessary to refer you to an independent financial counselling service. Our staff will make a decision about this based on their training and their discussions with you.
The financial counselling service will be able to review your situation in greater detail and help you to better plan your budget. We can then work with you or the counselling service to provide you with a payment plan that works for you.
Helping you help yourself.
Our aim is to keep you connected!
Tas Gas Retail recognises that financial hardship may be suffered occasionally, and in some cases on a permanent basis. If you should find yourself in financial hardship, Tas Gas Retail will strive to keep you connected.
As your energy provider we have many ways we can help you with your energy bills. In order for us to provide you with the best possible service, we need you to help us. Your obligations under the Energy Retail Code include:
- Working with us to use less energy and pay off your debt.
- Staying in touch – let us know if anything changes so we can assist.
- Making payment plan repayments – in full and on time.
We want to help you get back in control of your energy bills!
Will anyone else find out about my financial difficulties?
No. Your privacy is important to us.
Our team will assist you with compassion and understanding that includes keeping your information confidential.